101 in 1001
January 4, 2012 to October 1, 2014
I love lists. Lists, lists, lists. Lists of tasks, lists of goals, lists of dreams, lists of chores, grocery lists, honey-do lists. You name it, I've probably made a list of out it. And since I'm not one for New Years resolutions (I'm not one for keeping them either;)) I make lists. Lists of goals and dreams for the coming year. For the past two years I've shared these lists here on the blog (here and here) and it's been fun being able to go back and see just how far I've come! So as 2012 approached I started in on my list for the New Year. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to create a list that was bigger than before. Something that would challenge me. A list of goals and dreams that were far reaching. I wanted a list that would stretch my ability to dream big (and small).
So I decided to make a 101 in 1001 list. 101 goals in 1001 days. (1001 is just shy of three years) I first heard of this idea from other photographers that I follow: Melissa Jill, Karen Stott, and Gail Werner (Take a look at their lists for inspiration. It's so fun to see the goals and dreams of other people and even more inspiring to see them being checked off and accomplished!)
Last spring I had the opportunity to attend a mentor session with Justin and Mary. I was supposed to come with my BHAGs, (Big Hairy Audacious Goals). And I came up with a puny little list. Mary encouraged me think bigger, dream bigger and get specific. Ugh, I thought I had! But she was right. If I was going to set goals for the future, in order to be able to accomplish them, I had to know exactly what I was reaching for! And so as I thought about my 101 in 1001 list I kept her wisdom in mind. If these are my BHAGS, my big, hairy, audacious goals for the future then I needed to get specific! And I needed to not be afraid to say them out loud (or write them down as it were). So I did it, I wrote down the dreams of my heart. Without fear and with hope that I will accomplish what I've set out to do!
A lot could change in the next two plus years. My outlook on life could be drastically different and the goals and dreams I have today for the future could change. But that's ok. I have a vision for where I want to be and with God's help and tweaking I plan on marching forward:)
I'd encourage you to take this journey with me and make your own 101 in 1001 list. Let's hold each other accountable to our dreams and to accomplishing our goals, big or small:)! Is there something you want to achieve? Is there a dream you want to see fulfilled? (Here's a calculator that you can use to calculate your end date) Write your 101 in 1001 down and start today!
Who knows what life will bring in the next two years or so, but I can tell you that I am super excited to find out!
Here's to dreaming!
1. Launch new Branding. This was top secret until hubby got me an iPhone case for Christmas that has my new logo on it. He put the case on my phone and I can't figure out how to get it off LOL! Well the details at least are on a "need to know basis" :)
2. Launch new website to fit with branding.
3. Launch new blog to fit with branding. so, so, SO excited about this project!
4. Travel back to Hawaii to photograph a wedding in Kauai.
5. Travel back to Europe to photograph a wedding in England, Scotland or Austria.
6. Have a Baby! Wheeeee!!
7. Create an online site for new clients as a welcome tool.
8. Visit our friends in Turkey.
9. Visit our friends in Austin, TX.
10. Run the Disney World Half Marathon or a Half Marathon.
11. Post once a week on the forums I belong to for three months straight (stole this from Gail Werner's list. I've been trying unsuccessfully to do this for months, so I'm writing it down here!)
Revamp The Bookworm Club. started on 1.18.2012
13. Join PPA and CPS.
14. Add a giving/charity component to my business, possibly with Thirst Relief or Gateway to Nepal.
15. Be published in a major Bridal magazine such as Brides, The Knot, Southern Weddings.
16. Be published on Style Me Pretty, 100 Layer Cake, Southern Weddings or another national wedding blog.
17. Begin a mentorship program for photographers.
18. Speak publicly about something I am passionate about. Possibly at a workshop or P31 retreat.
19. Purchase a new used car, preferably a CRV !! completed on 3.07.2012
20. Decide whether or not to move to New Hampshire.
21. Cook dinner once a week for my Husband for a month.
22. Book 20-25 weddings a year.
23. Streamline my workflow and create a business manual.
24. See the Grand Canyon.
25. Landscape our front and back yard.
26. Own a pair of Frye boots.
28. Have a promo video made.
29. Go to Vancouver/Portland/visit the Northwest.
30. Visit 10 states I have never been too.
31. Improve Client packaging to match new branding and have a luxurious, custom feel.
32. Go on a girl's vacation to someplace warm with my besties.
33. Host a small workshop or retreat for women photographers, possibly for married photographers.
34. Pay for meal/drink/coffee of the person behind me at the drive through. At least once.
35. Create a travel photography site to sell prints.
36. Do three styled shoots with my favorite vendors.
37. Participate in a running club or boot camp program.
38. Implement and finish a DIY project for our home.
39. Second shoot a wedding for a photographer who lives outside of New England.
40. Hire a trainer to help Maya learn to not be afraid...of Dave.
41. Paint and revamp our fireplace.
42. Get a new laptop.
43. Revamp our bedroom.
44. Make a Date Night package for each month for a whole year for Dave:) -- completed on 1.1.2012
45. Visit California again. This time SoCal.
46. Be asked to write a guest blog post on a wedding blog or another photographers blog.
47. Go Karaoking, for the first time.
48. Find a photography/business/life mentor who can speak into my life.
49. Find someone who I can mentor and encourage.
50. Spend the whole day at the spa! (Without being intimidated;))
51. Reach my goal weight of 1_0 and maintain it.
52. Take a self portrait once a month for a year.
53. Conquer my fear of flying.
54. Display our wedding vows in a meaningful way.
55. Make mom an album of our wedding.
56. Wake up with the hubby every work day for a whole month.
57. Revamp the living room/kitchen.
58. Revamp the dining room.
59. Shoot a gun (what?:))
60. See a real live Moose.
61. Hike another 4,000 ft mountain with Dave (I want to help him cross that off his list!)
62. Revamp the downstairs bathroom.
63. Print images from Hawaii and other travels.
64. Become an LLC. completed on 1.1.2012
65. Have lunch with one of my photography heroes.
67. Have a consistent editing style. Use more color and better light.
68. Splurge and purchase a pair of Louboutins. Better yet, be surprised with a pair of Louboutins. Wink, wink ;)
69. Revamp my wedding day wardrobe.
70. Read all of the New Testament.
71. Read all of the Old Testament.
72. See another Broadway show.
73. Spend the weekend in NYC with my mom.
74. Go to Disney World. For the fifty millionth time :-)
75. Go on a Cruise for the first time. completed on 4.1.2012
76. Be published in a regional Bridal magazine like Seacoast Bride or WellWed.
77. Upgrade my second camera body (either 5d Mark II or the Mark IV) completed on 1.31.2012
78. Complete the P90x Program.
79. Create a better Twitter presence.
80. Sell or give away old equipment I'm not using. completed on 1.16.2012
81. Buy lunch for Katelyn James and Karen Stott and Jody Gray and Mary Marantz and Erin Youngren and Ginny Corbett and maybe some other fabulous photog lady friends. All together perhaps?:)!
82. Lead a homeless ministry again with the husband or just be a part of an outreach ministry.
83. Work with an intern who can help out with office details so I can concentrate on growing the business. Anyone interested?:)
84. Work with an assistant on the wedding day who can help carry bags, set up lighting, hold reflectors and shoot a little. Anyone interested?:)
85. Relive our wedding night by spending the weekend at The Custom House in Boston. Nothing like a mini vacation in your own backyard:)!
86. Buy Dave a double cab Toyota Tacoma (or truck of choice :))
87. Travel to a warm state to run a road race.
88. Purchase a road bike and help my hubby get back into biking.
89. Spend the weekend at Church Landing in Meredith, New Hampshire. completed on 2.12.2012
90. Redesign my engagement ring and wedding band.
91. Go to another Patriots game. Play offs?:)!
92. Go on a road trip with the Husband through the South.
93. Visit Glacier National Park.
94. Attend a show at Fashion Week in NYC with Tricia.
95. Purchase a Kate Spade bag. And shoes. And dress....
97. Ride a zip line, even though I'm TERRIFIED with even the thought of it!
98. **At first I had written road trip through the South twice. Now I am leaving this slot open!
99. Finish and blog my office.
101. And since we'll be over there, visit New Zealand.
** UPDATED TO ADD: Here is the original site from the person who created the 101 in 1001 idea:) **